For starters, many people have no idea how tall an average floor lamp is! So they choose one that’s either too short or too tall for their needs. There are also those who choose floor lamps that are too small or too large for their rooms.
How to choose the right height floor lamp for your needs? It may seem like a daunting task, but it’s really not as difficult as it seems. You just need to consider a few factors, such as the location of the lamp, the size of the room and your own personal comfort level.
And once you’ve chosen the perfect height floor lamp, you’ll be able to enjoy optimum illumination in any room!
So if you’re having trouble choosing the right height floor lamp for your needs, don’t worry – you’re not alone!
Once you’ve read through this post, you’ll be able to know how tall should a floor lamp be for any room in your home! So keep reading for more information.
How Tall Is the Average Floor Lamp?
The average floor lamp height is 60 to 72 inches or 5 to 6 feet. However, there are some are shorter or taller than the value.
Here is a brief overview of each type of lamp and its height range:
1. The torchiere floor lamp is one of the tallest types which can be around 7 feet. It is perfect for use in living rooms and bedrooms, because it can provide more light without stimulating your eyes.
2. The arc floor lamp is a unique type of floor lamp that has a curved metal arm, which often extends above the head of the user. This type of lamp has a height range of 70 to 84 inches. It is often used in living rooms and offices, because it can provide bright light without taking up a lot of space.
3. The tripod floor lamp is a type of lamp has a height range of 48 to 72 inches. It is a perfect decorative addition to homes and offices.
4. The pharmacy floor lamp measures around 4 feet and some taller options can be 5-6 feet. You can get it next to your couch or worktable if you have your room in vintage style or in favor of traditional pieces.
5. The reading floor lamp, with a height of 58 to 64 inches, is designed for those who want to read or work at a desk.
6. The standard floor lamp is the most common type of floor lamp, with a height range of 56 to 66 inches.
7. The buffet floor lamp is shorter, measuring around 3 feet. If you are going for more ambiance next to TV or in living rooms, or guest rooms, choosing a buffet floor lamp is a wise choice.
If you choose one that is too short, it will not provide enough light. It might also look out of place in the room. On the other hand, if you choose one that is too tall, it can be quite inconvenient, especially when you need to change the light bulbs.
So, What Size Floor Lamp Do You Need?
When it comes to floor lamps, size definitely matters. You’ll want to choose the right height lamp for your specific room so that you can get the most out of your light.
Our handy guide will help you choose the perfect sized lamp for your living room, bedroom, next to the couch, or next to TV.
1. Illuminate your living rooms with a 56 to 66 inches floor lamp
A 56 to 66 inches floor lamp is the perfect height for lighting up living rooms. They provide ample light and create a cozy atmosphere, and make a statement in your space.
2. Around 5 ft floor lamp performs well next to a chair/couch
If you’re looking for a floor lamp to place next to your couch or sofa, choose one that is about 5 feet in height so it doesn’t dwarf your furniture and can offer focused light for your tasks at hand.
3. Put a 58 to 64 inches floor lamp in your bedrooms and home offices
For a bedroom floor lamp, consider one that is between 58 and 64 inches tall so it won’t obstruct your view while lying in bed.
The height range also works in home offices because it radiates ample bright light to your worktable without being too obtrusive.
4. A 40 to 50 inches floor lamp looks harmonious next to a TV
Place a smaller lamp (40 to 50 inches) next to your TV to create an inviting atmosphere while you watch your favorite show.
To get the right height floor lamp for your needs, you should consider,
When selecting a floor lamp, you should consider the location of the floor lamp in the room. If you are looking for a reading lamp, it should be placed near your reading chair or bed. If you are looking for a floor lamp to light up an entire room, choose a location in the room that is darker than the other areas.
The height of the floor lamp should be such that you can easily reach the light switch without having to stand on a stool or chair.
2. Room Size
When choosing the right height floor lamp for your needs, you should also keep in mind the size of the room. In a small room, choose a lamp that is not too tall or too short. In a large room, you have more flexibility in terms of height.
- For small rooms, choose a standard floor lamp of 56 to 66 inches in height.
- For rooms with tall ceilings, choose a floor lamp that is at least 72 inches in height. This will ensure that the light reaches all corners of the room.
3. Your Personal Comfort Level
Finally, consider your own personal comfort level. A floor lamp that is too tall may be difficult to reach and adjust, while one that is too short may not provide enough light.
- For seated task illumination, a little shorter than 5 feet is recommended.
- For standing task illumination, choose a floor lamp that is 5 to 6 feet in height.
- For general ambient lighting, choose a floor lamp that is 6 to 7 feet in height.
Another trick is when seated, the lamp shade should be above your shoulder while for standing, the shade is around eye level.
Floor lamps are great for providing light in dark corners and adding a touch of personality to a room, but choose the wrong height and you’ll be left in the dark. So, when choosing a floor lamp, make sure to consider the size of the room and your own personal comfort level. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to find the perfect floor lamp for your needs.
If you’re looking for more information on choosing the right height floor lamp, be sure to check out our website for more tips and advice.